Friday, December 4, 2009

Our little Jaundice baby!

On Monday night, we took Michael into the doctor for his routine appointment and discovered that he had Jaundice. He didn't even look very yellow, but a blood test confirmed that his levels were pretty high. Fortunately, our doctor let us try Phototherapy at home first...otherwise it would have been back to the NICU. He was on the lights 24 hours a day and I nursed him like crazy to try and flush the jaundice out. A nurse came to our house every day this week and drew his blood. The first 2 days of blood tests weren't too bad, but then both his heels were sore and it was torture! I felt so awful for him, but reminded myself that it was better than him being in the NICU. After 4 days, we finally got the levels down to where we could stop the blood tests and Phototherapy. I was SO happy!



The last picture was the night we decorated our Christmas tree. Michael lay there on the lights and we decorated. We had to at least help him be festive!

2 comments:

Nancy Boyce said...

I am so glad that the doctor caught Michael's jaundice. Daniel also had jaundice and had to have the home therapy but his was this big tube around his midsection. What a difference almost 15 years make in treatments!

Phannie said...

Beautiful baby boy