So the inevitable happened...Wednesday night, the contractions started flying! I noticed they were getting a little close, so I laid down and started timing. My doctor told me to go in when I had 4 in an hour, so when I had 4 in 20 minutes, I knew we were going in! I called Scott's aunt to come stay with Matthew while Scott got Matthew in bed and I continued to time them...8 in an hour! I was freaking out! Suddenly, I was not ready! They were getting stronger too, so as soon as Scott's aunt got here, we were gone! I told Scott that I refused to take a wheelchair up because I always felt like a total loser when they took me up in one, but I regretted it! I had 2 relatively painful contractions in the 4 minutes it took to get to Labor and Delivery! We walked in to L&D and my husband (who I love dearly, but can't handle a serious situation without a joke) said to the nurse at the desk, "We are here for the tour!" She looked at him like are you serious and said, "We don't have any tours right now!" Scott's jokes would be funnier if people didn't take them so seriously and if his wife wasn't right in the middle of a contraction. I looked at him and wanted to punch him, but said, "No, he's joking." They got me all hooked up and we waited what seemed like forever for the doctor (big surprise!). He checked me and sure enough, I was half a centimeter dilated. I could not believe it! They gave me a shot of terbuline to stop the contractions, but it didn't do anything. An hour later, I was dilated to 1 cm. So we switched medications and they admitted me. They decided it was best to transport me to another hospital where they had a better NICU with more staff for such a young baby, but we had to wait until the contractions slowed down, so that I didn't have a baby in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. They started an IV (which took 3 very painful tries!) and they we were off to the hospital. The ride in the ambulance was so bumpy and uncomfortable that I kept thinking, "This is going to be what breaks my water or something!" Scott was driving right behind us the whole way and I kept wishing I was just in the car with him! When we got to the hospital, the ambulance driver told me, "Your husband is a ninja." Very confused, I asked him why. He said, "Because he was right behind us the whole way!" Apparently, that makes him a ninja! Scott thinks that's really funny! By the time we got to the new hospital and settled, it was 2am and we were exhausted! The nurses and doctors were wonderful and very informative. They had even had a bed waiting for Michael in the NICU, which was a little scary, but still. Of course, when you are in the hospital, you can never sleep long because nurses are going in and out all night. Needless to say, neither Scott or I slept very well, but I stopped dilating...thank goodness! The scary thing is that one of my doctors told me that since Michael is so little, most likely I will only dilate to 5 or 6 cm, so being at 1 cm is not great! But I could just be dilated 1 cm for weeks, so we'll just see how it goes! Michael continues to look healthy and remains strong! Every time the doctors would touch my stomach, Michael would give them a nice swift kick! I continue to have contractions, but I came home this morning with medication to take every 4 hours and orders to stay in bed. I can get up to go to the bathroom, but that's about it! It is going to be a blast! Luckily, my mom came out yesterday to take over with Matthew, so now I can just stay in bed! I hate it already! Today, my mom took Matthew to Disneyland and I'm bored out of my mind! It was a long couple days, but I'm glad to be home. I guess we'll see what the next couple weeks bring! Good thing I love my little Michael SO much!
Here are some pictures from our adventure!


Matthew came to visit after they picked my mom up from the airport. Matthew loved this curtain!
Here are some pictures from our adventure!
Matthew came to visit after they picked my mom up from the airport. Matthew loved this curtain!

7 comments:
at least they put you in a cute little room with yellow stripes! I'm so glad you came home with little Michael still hangin out in the womb, where he should be! I've assembled a small "strict bed rest" package for you.. be looking for it!
oh my goodness jen!! you need to give me your address for a visit or give me a call to fill me in! it has been forever. we can lessen a few minutes of your boredom if visitors aren't going to bother michael too much!
Oh man! Jen, I keep checking your status and you had me really worried there for a minute. . .Well, actually I'm still worried but for different reasons.
Please let me help if you need.
You've done such a good job beating the odds, I have a feeling that it will continue. Hang in there!
Oh man! Jen, I keep checking your status and you had me really worried there for a minute. . .Well, actually I'm still worried but for different reasons.
Please let me help if you need.
You've done such a good job beating the odds, I have a feeling that it will continue. Hang in there!
Oh my gosh! Hang in there Jen! One positive thing - you will be able to get plenty of sleep before the sleepless nights begin! Take care and you and little Michael will be in our prayers.
Did Scott get you that laptop yet? I'm thinking Hulu, naps, and 2 1/2 personal slaves sounds really good! :)
Oh Jen. I wish that I could be there to waste time with you. I understand the boredom. Mine is just because there is no one around. Yours because you are ordered. Hang in there. Michael will be okay.
We love you.
Post a Comment